Thursday, February 16, 2017

David's log

Some jobs take a long time. A very long time. Some three years after installing a new windlass I finally installed a backing plate. It is custom made from ¼"-thick 316 stainless steel, formed to the manufacturer's template. That template, however, could not foresee the below-deck supports in Raven and the backing plate needed trimming, read "cutting". Not knowing how I might do this myself, I put it off.

This particular job, if it were not done, is something of a shop-stopper for a safe departure. I had to come to terms with it.

Not really sure if it would work, I splashed $19 on a 4" angle grinder from Harbor Freight Tools and the same amount on edge cutting disks. I measured, marked, and re-checked at least six times before making any cuts.. Covered in ear-protectors and safety glasses I began to cut, a process that took about half an hour to cut about eight inches of metal.

Sparks flew. The floor was covered in grey dust. Burning smells filled the cabin.

It took only one disc to do the job. It was slow, steady work, but effective.

I offered the modified backing plate up to the windlass. It fit perfectly. Job done!


Initial installation.
Improved with backing plate.
















This'd better work.

















No comments: