Saturday, November 25, 2017

Thanksgiving on Raven

[Hilde’s log]

We send our best wishes to all of you for a warm and memorable holiday season! We are pretty low-key here on Raven, but I do try to cook a bit more around the holidays. We had a lovely pre-Thanksgiving meal at our friends’ home here in Pensacola, complete with lovely tablecloth and linen napkins and roasted Cornish hens. Our actual Thanksgiving Day meal was a whole lot less beautiful, but made for leftovers aplenty. No big turkey roasting in the oven – we have a pretty small oven!

Our lovely friends, John & Cookie, who shared their Thanksgiving dinner with us. They've been friends with David for almost 40 years. I am a johnny-come-lately, only meeting them at our wedding 17 years ago.

The thing about using the oven is that first I have to unload it. The oven usually functions as a storage space for baking pans, my cast-iron grill skillet and other less-used items. All that has to come out and perch...somewhere. The counter, of course, is awash in ingredients. I always get everything out of the refrigerator before I start, since the counter is also the top of the refrigerator. And, invariably, I forget one thing and then say a few choice words as I balance everything on the ladder, the nav station, etc., while I go digging.

One of my cooking piles...the stuff from the oven.

The rectangular door under my pot and the red dish is the door to the refrigerator.

This is usually the point at which I realize I have forgotten something in the fridge.

I made three things this year – a sort of green bean casserole (no cream of mushroom soup, but some gluten free panka crumbled on top of the green beans and onions did nicely to distract me from the lack), butternut squash and small Brussels sprouts, and a gluten free stuffing mix. That ended up being lunch. That night I made gravy to go with the turkey breast and remaining stuffing. Sometime later this week I guess I will get around to the mashed potatoes and sweet potato pie. After all, it’s just the two of us. So what if we spread the meal out over a week, right?

Thanksgiving meal #1 - lunch! We ate outside in the cockpit under a bright and almost warm sun. The dishes are the Corelle that got replaced the next day (see below).

Eventually order is restored...
 
I capped off the week with my first-ever Black Friday shopping trip with another of our Pensacola friends, who have been very kind to take us around in their car for various bits and pieces David needs for repairs and grocery stops for me. On Friday, Mary Jane and I made a day of it, stopping at Stein Mart, Sam’s, Kohl’s, Starbucks, etc. At Kohl’s I found lovely melamine plates for 40% off! I have been looking for nice melamine plates for a long time and was so pleased to find these. The fact that I had to wait in the check-out line for 30 minutes didn’t even dim my enthusiasm. I have to say, I haven’t been shopping in a very long time and the sheer volume of stuff and the crowds of women (not a man in sight) nearly overwhelmed my senses. If it hadn’t been for Mary Jane, I think I would have bolted!


Pretty blue dishes! Such a relief. I have been using my old Corelle for decades and am heartily sick of looking at it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had those same Corelle dishes for decades, too! In fact, you probably saw them at one time or another in Brenham. Hey, spreading out the Thanksgiving feast over a few days is actually a pretty good idea. I've not budged from the house since Monday, avoiding the Thanksgiving shopping crunch ... yes, even in our smallish town! -- Betty

Hilde said...

I've had that pattern of Corelle since COLLEGE. I finally disposed of it all (I thought) when we left Carrollton in 2004, but when we bought Raven in 2005, she came with dishes. THOSE dishes! I've been looking for some nice Melamine for a couple of years, but none of it appealed to me until this, which looks remarkably like stoneware. Corelle usually doesn't break, but when it does, millions of tiny shards go everywhere. Glad to get it off the boat.